Tuesday, April 8, 2014

National Poetry Month - Teaching Place Values by an English Teacher

Teaching Place Values by an English Teacher

The Ones place: The number of teachers in this room.
The Tens place: The number of students.
The Hundreds place: The number of times I’ve heard, “I can’t do this.” No, wait, maybe thats
the Thousands.
Ten Thousands: The number of seconds in aftercare.
Hundred Thousands: The number of times I’ve taken a breath, counted to ten, and talked myself out of ripping out all my hair, or yours.

Tenths: the percentage of students working on homework.
Hundredths: The number of seconds that pass between questions.
Thousandths: My own grasp on the subject at hand.
Ten Thousandths: The number of seconds that pass between complaints, a never-ending tirade.
Hundred Thousandths: “But is it right?” “I don’t know! Count the zeros!” And we’re both reduced to tears.

Infinity: The number of times I will return to sit next to you, pushing you to try again.


Zero: The number of times either one of us is allowed to give up.


by Maggie Myers

No comments:

Post a Comment